Carthew Bay Corner Store History

THE HISTORY OF CARTHEW BAY CORNER STORE

THE FIRST STORE WAS OPENED BY THE LEIGH FAMILY IN THE MID 40’s. THE STORE WAS ACTUALLY A ‘TUCK SHOP’ THAT CARRIED SIMPLE PRODUCTS SUCH AS MILK AND BREAD AND PENNY CANDY FOR THE NEIGHBORING COMMUNITIES.  IN 1952, THE NEW STORE WAS BUILT MUCH LIKE IT STANDS IN THE PHOTOGRAPH BELOW

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

THE JAMISON FAMILY PURCHASED THE STORE IN THE LATE 1950’S. THE FAMILY LIVED JUST UP THE 14TH LINE SO IT WAS EASY FOR THE JAMISON GIRLS TO HELP RUN THE STORE. THEY ORGANIZED/HANDLED THE MAIL SYSTEM SO WE COULD COMMUNICATE WITH THE WORLD (NO COMPUTERS IN THE DAY). THE GIRLS HAD ALPHABETICAL SLOTS TO PLACE THE RECEIVED MAIL. THE ADDRESS WAS RR#1, ORILLIA, ONTARIO.

THE BEST PART WAS THE PENNY CANDY. THE KIDS FROM THE  POINT WOULD BRING THEIR PENNIES, NICKELS AND DIMES AS THE JAMISON GIRLS WOULD PATIENTLY FILL UP SMALL BROWN PAPER BAGS WITH ASSORTED CANDY: RED LICORICE WAS THE BEST ALONG WITH THE ‘JUJU BEADS’, DOUBLE BUBBLE GUM (WITH A CARTOON INCLUDED) AND CANDY CIGARETTES. THE TOBACCO PRODUCTS WERE FOR THE ‘OLDER SET’ AT FIFTY CENTS A PACKAGE. THE COFFEE WAS ALWAYS THE BEST IN THE AREA.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

WHEN THE JAMESON GIRLS HAD GROWN UP, THEIR FATHER SOLD THE STORE TO AL NEWTON. HE REMAINED PROPRIETOR UNTIL 1986, WHEN THE BILOUS FAMILY PURCHASED THE STORE.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SOME REMODELING TOOK PLACE AND THE UPSTAIRS BECAME AN APARTMENT FOR DOUG AND HIS WIFE, MARJORIE. THEY WERE KEPT BUSY WORKING ALONG SIDE DOUG’S PARENTS, ALEXANDER (AL) AND HIS WIFE MARY (1929-2015). MARY USUALLY TOOK THE LATE EVENING SHIFT AND COULD BE SEEN READING A VARIETY OF PAPERBACK NOVELS.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

THE STORE BECAME PROSPEROUS NOT ONLY IN THE DURING THE SUMMER SEASON, BUT ALSO IN THE WINTER. FISHERMEN CAME TO BUY  DEW WORMS AND OTHER FISHING SUPPLIES FOR THE MANY FISH HUTS IN AND AROUND CARTHEW BAY. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IN 2011, SENTIE RASSA PURCHASED THE STORE FROM THE BILOUS FAMILY. SENTIE GRADUALLY MADE RENOVATIONS THAT EXIST TODAY. THE EXTERIOR OF THE STORE WAS RESIDED, NEW REFRIGERATION WAS ADDED ALONG WITH A NEW KITCHEN AND FLOORING. LATER, HE ADDED THE ‘SCOOP’ SHOP WHICH SOLD THE BEST KIWARTHA ICE CREAM. EVENTUALLY, NEW SEATING WAS ADDED BOTH INSIDE AND OUTDOORS. THE ‘BISTRO’ WAS SET UP OUTSIDE WITH TABLES, BENCHES, UMBRELLAS AND THE WORKS.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

WHEN SENTIE SECURED A LIQUOR LICENSE FROM THE PROVENCE OF ONTARIO, EVEN MORE ACTIVITY BEGAN. THE ‘REGULARS’ COULD BE SEEN ON FRIDAY EVENINGS ENJOYING A BEVERAGE AND MEAL EITHER INSIDE OR OUTSIDE.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SENTIE CONTINUES TO RENOVATE AND EXPAND THE MENU TO THE LIKING OF THOSE INTERESTED IN BREAKFAST, LUNCH OR DINNER. THE COFFEE WAS AND IS STILL A FAVORITE FOR MANY RESIDENTS AND  VARIOUS TRADE WORKERS. THE POINT EXPANDED;  MANY HOMES WERE RENOVATED OR LEVELED ADDING NEWER HOMES. COTTAGERS, EITHER SUMMER OR FULL TIME RESIDENTS, CAN NOW BE SEEN ENJOYING THEIR FAVORITE BEVERAGES INCLUDING: BEER, WINE AND A VARIETY OF ‘ALCOHOL’ DRINKS.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CHANGE AND EXPANSION CONTINUE TO THIS DATE AS WE ALL BENEFIT FROM CARTHEW BAY STORE AND THE ‘BISTRO’.

SUBMITTED BY SUSAN SHERIDAN